domingo, 15 de novembro de 2015

POLLYANNA - Eleanor H. Porter





‘At nine o’clock every morning you will read aloud one half-hour to me. Before that you will use the time to put this room in order. Wednesday and Saturday forenoons, after half-  past nine, you will spend with Nancy in the kitchen, learning to cook. Other mornings you will sew with me. That will leave the afternoons for your music. I shall, of course, procure a teacher at once for you,’ she finished decisively, as she arose from her chair. 
Pollyanna cried out in dismay. 
‘Oh, but Aunt Polly, Aunt Polly, you haven’t left me any time at all just to—to live.’
‘To live, child! What do you mean? As if you weren’t living all the time!’ 
‘Oh, of course I’d be BREATHING all the time I was doing those things, Aunt Polly, but I wouldn’t be living. You breathe all the time you’re asleep, but you aren’t living. I mean living—doing the things you want to do: playing outdoors, reading (to myself, of course), climbing hills, talking to Mr. Tom in the garden, and Nancy, and finding out all about the houses and the people and everything everywhere all through the perfectly lovely streets I came through yesterday. That’s what I call living, Aunt Polly. Just breathing isn’t living!’ 


PORTER, Eleanor H. Pollyanna, e-book, p. 57 




Cada manhã, às nove horas você me lerá alto até as (sic) nove e meia. Antes disso tratará de arrumar seu quarto. Quintas e sábados, depois das nove e meia, irá para a cozinha aprender pratos com Nancy. Nos outros dias costurará ao meu lado. As tardes ficarão para a música - e o quanto antes eu tratarei de arranjar um professor, concluiu ela decisivamente, erguendo-se da cadeira.
Pollyanna gritou apavorada:
- Oh, tia Polly, a senhora não me deixou tempo nenhum para - para viver. 
- Para viver? Que quer dizer com isso? Como se não estivesse vivendo o tempo todo...
- Oh, estou respirando o tempo todo, mas fazer isso não é estar vivendo, tia Polly. A senhora respira todo o tempo que está dormindo e quem dorme não vive. Quero dizer vivendo, isto é , fazendo coisas de que a gente gosta, como brincar lá fora, ler para mim mesma, subir ao morro, conversar com o senhor Tom e Nancy no jardim, e saber tudo a respeito das casas e das pessoas que moram nas lindas ruas por onde passei. Isso é o que eu chamo de viver, tia Polly. Respirar só, não é viver.

PORTER, Eleanor H. Pollyanna. Trad. Monteiro Lobato. são Paulo: Cia Ed. Nacional, 1982, p. 39-40.


Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário